Tuesday 13 September 2011

The Perfect Blouse

I've been looking for a particular pattern for a while. A sleeveless blouse that could quickly be put together in a variety of fabrics. A loose, casual fit, able to be worn with jeans and a cardi or tucked into a skirt with a jacket over it for work. It had to be unfussy to make with no zips or buttons and easily adaptable for slight variations.

I tried the Pendrell Blouse by Sewaholic, but it was, although a sweet pattern, a little more complicated than I was looking for. My ideal blouse didn't have princess seams and wasn't quite so tailored. Also, I cut the wrong pattern size out and gave up in disgust when it looked like me and a friend were going to be able to fit in it.

I was mulling ideas over for drafting my own pattern, when I came across the Collete pattern for the Sorbetto Blouse, available free. It certainly ticked the boxes for simple enough - 2 pattern pieces, a couple of darts and finish the neck and arm holes. Loose fitting blouse done.

So on Sunday afternoon, while City Boy was watching sport, I sat and taped together the printed pattern pieces and dug out some drapey fabric I'd had forever. A couple of hours later it was done, exactly what I was looking for (please ignore the fact that it's unironed in the photo).





I didn't finish the neck and armholes using the suggested method, but otherwise there's not many ways to deviate from the instructions. Once constructed it's endlessly customisable - lace trimming, buttons, collars.

I'm already planning another couple - one in a printed cotton voile and one in a sheer chiffon, to layer over a vest top. I was so impressed with the sizing, easy construction and fantastic instructions that I've been eyeing up some of the other Collette patterns - they have some gorgeous dresses that look drafted with us busty ladies in mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment