Friday 1 April 2011

Sunny Lemon Biscuits

I did bake some Lemon Biscuits with the lemons in the fruit bowl in the end, but I didn’t follow either of the recipes linked in my previous post. The lemon cookies were an American recipe so all the measurements were in cups, which I dislike. I do own a set of measuring cups but my butter doesn’t fit in them. I don’t quite understand how anyone accurately measures butter by volume.  



So I credit that recipe with inspiration, but sort of made up a biscuit recipe based on a mixture of that and a non-lemon one I had scribbled down. And the results were quite tasty. I wasn’t overly excited by them when I tried one last night, but they seemed to taste a whole lot better this morning, so I’d leave them for a few hours after cooking. I may or may not have had three for breakfast.



Recipe

Ingredients:

325g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
225g caster sugar
175g butter
1 egg
60ml lemon juice
Grated zest of 3 lemons

Makes: loads



Method:

Sift flour, baking powder and salt together and set aside for a moment. In a different bowl cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy then add the egg, lemon juice and lemon zest and mix well. Gradually mix in the flour until it comes together to form a dough.

Roll the dough up into a long cylinder (or several if it makes them easier to fit in your fridge) about 5cm in diameter and wrap in greaseproof paper. Chill in the fridge for at least an hour, or overnight if you prefer.

Take the dough out the fridge, cut off disks about 1cm in thickness and place spaced apart on a lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with caster sugar and bake in a preheated oven at 170 degrees for 10-15 minutes, or until just starting to turn golden brown.

Enjoy with a cup of tea in a flowery tea cup.








No comments:

Post a Comment