Wednesday 30 March 2011

Procrastination and Bad Timing

Life is a whirlwind of activity at the moment. Apart from the times I’m asleep, it seems that I’m rarely in the house for longer than a couple of hours at a stretch. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that the coming weekend doesn’t get booked up between now and its arrival, to give me an opportunity to get a few things done.  I’ve ordered some more seeds today that need to be sown, the garden definitely requires some further attention before it’s usable, the windows are in desperate need of a wash and I’ve got a pile of vintage dresses to be taken up and/or in before dress wearing weather arrives. I also must, must, must complete the census and get it off before the looming deadline.

I’m exhausted just thinking about it!
This is before we turn to the pile of WIPs that actually seems to be growing instead of shrinking. How does that happen?
Actually scrap that, I know how it happens. Allow me to illustrate. These are the socks I’ve pulled out from the drawer, with the good intention of finishing the second one...

And this is the ball of lace weight mohair I’ve been considering since the weekend. It’s going to happen sooner or later. I’m thinking something beaded.

In the front of my little moleskine diary that I have each year, I put a fresh post it note at the beginning of each month. On this post-it note I write a list of the things I’d like to accomplish that month. Bearing in mind existing commitments and my tendency to procrastinate, I keep it realistic and limit it to 10 things. If by some miracle these ever all get done I can always add more. For March, my entirely reasonable list read:
1.       Complete 2 more blocks of yellow quilt
2.       Finish Aqua quilt (needs a border, quilting and binding)
3.       Finish big grey cowl
4.       Paint hallway
5.       Buy birthday present for Dad
6.       Buy birthday present for Brother
7.       Take up polka dot dress
8.       Take up a long cardigan/coat for my Grandmother
9.       Lose 5 pounds
10.   Frame 2 pictures
I ticked off numbers 6, 5 and 3 only. If I give up sleeping and eating I may get a couple more done by the end of March. I did get a picture of number 3 -  the big grey woolly cowl knitted in time for the lovely spring weather, modelled here by Celeste:

It’s lovely and warm. Going by my current record I’ll finish both quilts just in time for a heat wave in August.
Because procrastination is always better when it involves food, I’ve spent the last half an hour looking for recipes online. I’ve got a bag of lemons sitting in the fruit bowl that need using up, so I’m currently thinking up nice ways to use them tonight. Perhaps this or this?

No comments:

Post a Comment