Wednesday 23 March 2011

A Present to Myself

Last week I ordered a new stand mixer, which arrived at the weekend. As much as I would love one, it unfortunately wasn’t one of those well-known and very expensive stand mixers ending in ‘aid’.  I didn’t think City Boy would appreciate the irony of having a top-of-the-range stand mixer and subsequently only being able to afford to eat beans on toast for 3 months.
Meet Sir Mix-a-Lot:

I did a bit of research on mixers within my budget and this one has good reviews and was very reasonably priced on amazon – it’s the Breville SHM2 twin mixer. Judging on the limited use it’s had so far, I’m very pleased with mine. It mixes stuff, it stands, and that’s generally what I require of a stand mixer. In fact, it even detaches from the stand to become a hand mixer, which I feel is above and beyond the call of duty.
So far Sir Mix-a-Lot and I have churned out:
Brownies

Banana Pudding

And some blueberry muffins. I don’t have a picture of these because they sunk and weren’t very pretty. Although they tasted fine. I let the team down with this one – Sir Mix-a-Lot performed his part admirably.
I’m visiting my parents this weekend as it’s my dad’s birthday, so I’m going to take a cake if I can find time to make one. I would be more likely to have time if I stopped browsing baking blogs with the excuse that I’m looking for inspiration and attempted a few things on my to-do list instead. There are a whole lot of beautiful cakes out there to distract me.
And, just because I’ve reminded myself of this cake I baked a few weeks ago, and because I’m quite proud of it, here’s one I made earlier:


No comments:

Post a Comment